The Ventura Port District is an Independent Special District within the City of Ventura. Special Districts are independent, special-purpose governmental units that exist separately from local governments such as a city or county, with substantial administrative and fiscal independence. Special Districts are formed to perform a single function or a set of related functions.
About the Ventura Port District
The Ventura Port District was established on April 8, 1952, by an election and majority vote of the citizens of Ventura. On April 15, 1952, the Board of Supervisors of Ventura County, ordered the formation of the District pursuant to the Harbors and Navigation Code of the State of California and by two Ventura County Resolutions.
The District was organized for the purpose of acquiring, constructing, and operating a commercial and recreational boat harbor within the City of Ventura. The District’s legal boundaries encompass all of the City of Ventura as well as some small areas outside the City limits.
The District is the owner/operator of the Ventura Harbor. The Harbor is a 274-acre multiple-use recreational and commercial fishing small craft harbor. Other than a 2.74-acre site owned by the Department of Interior, National Park Service, the District is the sole landowner within the Harbor. The District’s current property holdings include approximately 152 acres of land and 122 acres of water area. The voters of the District approved a general obligation bond issue of $4,750,000 on February 13, 1962, to be used for the construction of the Harbor. Construction was completed and the Harbor commenced operations on June 16, 1963.